Hello Brandon,
I enjoyed reading your post on Run DMC very much.
Thank you for the informative and entertaining read. I did not know that the group paved the way for so many
other hip hop artists to employ the use of drum machines and other electronic
instruments. From my earlier knowledge
about Hip Hop and the history of Djing I was pleased to find in the book “Last
Night A Dj Saved My Life” by Bill Brewster, I was aware that the genre started
in the Bronx sometime in 1977 with Dj Kool Herc. Herc was a transplant from Jamaica who was familiar with the
sound systems of Kingston and began playing the breaks of disco and funk
records back to back using two turntables and a mixer while and adding what is
know as toasting in Jamaica or the original term of the DJ or Disc Jockey, as
in someone who rides the beat with vocal rhyming, who is known today as an
MC. This follows your reference to
the earlier hip hop artists sampling the breaks of funk, soul, and disco records
to formulate the backing tracks to rap over. I also enjoyed your fact regarding the industries advent of
MIDI however I would have been please to know what year exactly this took place
in. This is the same year, as you mentioned, that “Sucka MC’s” was released
which employed the use of the Oberheim DMX drum machine that signaled this
break through and electronic crossover. Overall I really enjoyed your post thoroughly and hope to
read more from you in the future.

No comments:
Post a Comment